Tuesday 19 June 2007

Service with a Smile

This morning we had to fax the ‘mileage claim’ form to the RBA office in Brunei. It was actually my husband’s. We just found out that his airmiles from BWN to LHR, a trip he made in early April, had not been credited to his Royal Skies account. Actually I don’t really understand how this could have happened. When we checked his boarding pass, his Royal Skies numbers were clearly written and they surely must have also been in the RBA computer system. I just wonder, if the staffs handling the Royal Skies mileage award have to do their work manually i.e. checking for each name. Otherwise, I don’t understand how their computer system could possibly miss anyone…hmmm.

Anyway, speaking of our beloved national carrier, I hope they are currently improving their customer services (now with the new CEO). Not only their in cabin service (actually those flight stewards/stewardess are not bad) but also their ground service. You see, I have had quite a few unpleasant incidences with their ground staff (particularly those at the check-in counters). I don’t know for some reason, they look quite stressful and very rarely I get a ‘service with a smile’, be it in Brunei or in my current case, London. My husband always told me to make proper complaints, but then I brushed off the idea. I didn’t want anyone to get into trouble simply because they probably had a PMS or bad-hair day or a quarrel with their other-halves.

Anyway, we economists believe that Economics, to a large extent, is a study of incentives. So I would say the main reason why we don’t often get good customer services from some of the ground RBA staff is mainly because there is very little (monetary) incentive for them to do it (even though I notice that there is a form for customers to fill in to vote who his/her STAR staff or something. Now, has anyone actually filled those up?)

So I guess, it is up to the employer then in this case to give some incentives so that their staff will always give a ‘Service with a Smile’ to everyone and anyone (everytime) because hey! words of mouth can give greater rewards especially when there is competition.

Just to share you our story, many years ago, my husband and I made a trip to Singapore using SIA. On the way, it was raining heavily. When we landed and made our way to the baggage isle, our names were held up on a card. Then a lady, a SIA staff approached us (sorry lady, I don't remember your name). She explained that because it was raining and wet, our baggage could be damaged. Then somebody actually extracted our luggage for us! Then this lady gave us a phone number to call in case any of our stuff in the luggage was affected. When we checked, there was no damage, not even the exterior of our luggage! Now, THAT’s what I called ‘first class’ service! Oh, and we flew economy. And honestly, after what happened, we actually loved and flew many times with SIA.

Anyway, I hope one day I would be able to share you a similar ‘first class’ service from RBA….Who knows, we may probably experience it this coming July, from the London and/or Dubai ground staff hehehe…

Salaam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Anyway, we economists believe that Economics, to a large extent, is a study of incentives. So I would say the main reason why we don’t often get good customer services from some of the ground RBA staff is mainly because there is very little (monetary) incentive for them to do it (even though I notice that there is a form for customers to fill in to vote who his/her STAR staff or something. Now, has anyone actually filled those up?)"

You gave me an idea. I think feedback is very important to companies so that they have a better idea how and where to spend their money on improving their services. Perhaps people "malas tah ku ingau, ngalih saja" when it comes to providing feedback. My idea is, what if RBA awards loyalty points to people who provide feedback to them?

Orwellthatendswell.