Saturday 9 June 2007

Asians vs Non-Asians

I remember a couple of months ago, my colleagues (a Thai and a Mexican) and I had a conversation about the difference between Asians and Non-Asians. It all started when I asked a question related to my research. Since none of us knew the 'real' answer, my Mexican friend told me to ask my supervisor. Then I said I would try my best to find out myself before I bring it to my supervisor. It struck me then and there the difference between Asians and non-Asians. And that is Asians seldom want to ask questions straightaway, call it shy or whatever, but that's what I usually notice (including myself, that is!). And my Thai friend agreed with me. He said there was something about our culture and the way we were taught that didn't encourage question askings.

Well I don't know about you, but I agree with my friend. I remember when I was young (during primary school) we were always told to KEEP QUIET and were never encouraged to ask questions. There was one time when I was in Primary 2 (government school) and it was Maths class. I noticed my teacher was making a mistake in his calculation. So I put up my hand and told him his mistake. I think I remember vividly that my teacher was quite embarassed and he did't even thank me for pointing the mistake! I was 8 at that time. Since then, I just kept quiet whenever I noticed any teacher made a mistake (which were quiet A LOT! including the calculation of exam marks in the report card).

Furthermore, at home, my late mom who was a very traditional malay mom, would remind us not to ask any question or interrupt any conversation, whenever our aunties and uncles came to visit us. We were also not encouraged to give our view as the idea was adults-know-better-so-children-don't-try-to-be-smart.

I guess it all boils down to our education (formal and informal). We were not trained to explore. In terms of informal education (at home), I guess there has been some improvement. Nowadays, children asking parents are no longer a taboo (well at least in my family). However, I slightly worry about our formal education (I hope I'm wrong) because I seldom got a lot of questions from my students (during my time as a lecturer at UBD a couple of years back).

For the sake of the current and certainly, the future Brunei generation, please please please improve our school teachings particularly at the primary level. Let the children ask, ponder and think for themselves!

Salaam.

3 comments:

E1 said...

i agree. perhaps asking questions can also be related to confidence and language skills. Asking questions in English can be quite a challenge for many students in school.

on the other, there are people who ask, but rather silly questions. questions which answers can be found with further reading.

perhaps also, a scientific approach to teaching can be adopted. as known, sciences involve many questionings and challenges.

just my 2 cents worth :)

Anonymous said...

I wrote earlier in my blog about this. Its a little known fact that in Brunei,the percentage of our students from Govt schools who actually gets a Credit in 'o' levels English is ONLY 15%. The English language is the cornerstone of education. A figure that low is actually quite telling of the the quality of our education system.

Anonymous said...

actually it's 12%---> and the number is actually quite consistent all over the world.