Friday 30 October 2009

The Planet in Trouble

This morning I had the pleasure of attending a BEDB Forum entitled ‘The Economics of Climate Change in Southeast Asia’. I must admit, when I received the invitation I thought ‘oh dear, I will sleep..’. On the contrary, it was quite interesting and had me thinking that I should blog about this.

There was a presentation by the Asian Development bank (ADB) about how the climate has changed and caused the natural disasters. And that if the world continues its business as is, in about 50 years from now, the planet earth may no longer be a healthy planet to live in.

There was also a panel discussion on ‘Towards a Strategy on Climate Change: How Can Brunei Darussalam Contribute?’ Unfortunately, I couldn’t stay until the end of the discussion due to an office appointment. So, I didn’t actually get to hear from the experts what Brunei could and should do to help our planet which appears to be in great trouble.

Earlier on however, while listening to the remarks made by Dato T, which was as captivating as any of his previous ones, I began to list down what Brunei could do immediately without having to incur millions of dollars in cost. I would like to share this with you.

1. Public Education: Call it ‘Awareness’ or ‘Changing the Mindset’. This has to be done Pronto. This alone however will not have a big effect unless back by some policies because let’s face the fact, this does not appeal to our culture of ‘it’s –my-money-I-can-do-what-I-want-to’. So, by having some advertisement or one-off ‘awareness day’ (only) on the cost to the environment of diesel car or excessive electricity or excessive recyclable rubbish, my bet, will not change anyone’s mind let alone, centuries-old habits.

2. Policies: Now, before we talk about investing in solar power or wind power and what not, I think there are a number of policies that can actually make a difference.
First and foremost, look at the way we use the air-conditioner in the government offices! I tell you, in some departments frozen chicken can actually stay frozen for days if left in the rooms…well, ok I’m exaggerating, but some offices ARE cold. Now, can’t we have some sort of regulation to ‘cap’ the temperature? They do this in Japan, I was told.

What about the use of energy-saving light bulbs? Are these being used in all departments?
Before we ask the public to recycle, please can we practice what we preach? I do not recall ever seeing a recycling bin or box in any of the government building (at least in those I’ve been to). Well, they don’t have to be expensive or special bins, the normal ones with some pictured labels should be enough I think. I mean, if my children’s school can do it, I’m sure government departments can do it too, no?

Other ideas in my head (which may not easily implementable) include the encouragement for supermarkets to charge their plastic bags. Those plastic bags are not free in the first place. So let the consumers know how much they really cost.
Limit the number of parking spaces in government buildings, so people can be encouraged to come in twos.

And I can go on..

But the point of me writing this is that yes..we can contribute..We can start at home. (We do). You may say, ‘I alone won’t make a difference’ but if everyone contributes in his or her own little way, I’m sure it will.

Salaam.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed completely, Doc!;) In our Bruneian context, how about beginning such 'Awang Cek Mat' culture of energy-saving awareness in "Rumah Allah" or all Masjids in this Abode of Peace... I mean, if His Majesty were to do surprise random 'spot-checks' in all mosques in this blessed "Zikir" nation, then only all Muslims start to stop water wastage due to pipe leakages, overuse of air-conditioning, etc. (for God's sake is definitely the apt phrase. :))

Anonymous said...

Very sensible ideas! It's true, why can't we start small, alongside going all out with million-dollar projects on alternative energy?

FYI some government buildings do have recycling bins. However I do not know if the government staff are encouraged to use them.

I also read somewhere a very nice idea regarding encouraging public transport so that people drive less... why not spruce up those purple buses, improve bus stops and distribute information about bus routes, have campaigns to encourage the locals to use them more? I do not see myself carpooling to work with someone else - people do have their own agendas and errands - but to spend an afternoon in Gadong, I should be able to take the bus instead of driving my car and having to find parking.

Bruneian Dollar said...

Hmm.. Most of those ideas can be done by any individual especially Bruneians. Although, I do want some more of those recycling bins or somewhere for me to throw my tin cans as I was walking around Kiulap. Hell, why not we have our local recycling center to start the project of Being Green? I believe the company's name was Daikyo or something.

As for air-con, I have 1 thing to say. Room Temp at 22 Degrees Celsius. That should be enough.

As for Public Education, there's a lot of things that needs changing. For one is to make the system a lot strict in terms of handling assignments, homeworks and schoolworks. The Age Limit idea, no comment. Reason why its important to do their schoolwork properly because they are our future generation and one day, some of them may be working for the government. And if they do, they should learn to ACTUALLY FINISH THEIR JOB.

lim koh said...



Good Day !!!!!

I am Hwa Jurong, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
Lender. I loan money out to individuals in need of financial assistance.
Do you have a bad credit or are you in need of money to pay bills?
i want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary
assistance as I'll be glad to offer you a loan at 2% interest rate to
reliable individuals.

Services Rendered include:
*Refinance
*Home Improvement
*Inventor Loans
*Auto Loans
*Debt Consolidation
*Horse Loans
*Line of Credit
*Second Mortgage
*Business Loans
*Personal Loans
*International Loans.
Please write back if interested.
Upon Response, you'll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social
security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to
be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail: hwa_jurong@yahoo.com.sg , hwajurong12@gmail.com , contact@hwa-jurong.com ...
Yours Sincerely,

Hwa Jurong(MD).

Unknown said...

Hello everyone am here to testify how i got my loan from Mr Akisu. after i applied several times from various loan lenders who claimed to also testify right in this forum,i thought the testimonies where real and i applied but they never gave me loan. I was in need of an urgent loan to start a business and i applied from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan.Until a friend of mine introduce me to Mr Akisu. who promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any form of delay.I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met Mr.Akisu,who are indeed helped with the loan and changed my belief.I don't know if you are in any way in need of a genuine and urgent loan,free feel to contact Mr.Akisu via his email{Akisuloancompany@gmail.com} Thank you may God bless you

Unknown said...


Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Anita. I live in UK London and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Anita, that refer you to him. contact Mr.Robert,via email:(robertfinancial_loancompany@yahoo.com)Thank you

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com