Wednesday 24 September 2008

Liveable City

When I was reading this article, I can’t help thinking about Brunei’s Vision to be among the world’s top 10 countries in terms of GDP per capita and quality of life. So, I wonder whether Brunei (or any part of it) will one day ever make into the top 10 liveable cities in the world. According to Monocle, the ingredients to be a liveable city are:

a mix of shops and services within walking distance, a good transport interchange within close proximity, green space as part of their residence, a good park with a body of water for a refreshing plunge nearby, independent businesses as a key feature of the community, a sense of security (police on the beat or a Japanese-style police box in their neighbourhood), excellent coffee (Melbourne's Fitzroy and St Kilda and Sydney's Potts Point frequently came up as neighbourhoods that had the ideal mix of restaurants, cafés and street life) and finally a little bit of grit and surprise.”

Judging from the latest result which saw many of the European cities topping the list, it looks like we still have a looonnnggg way to go.

Salaam.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bandar has all the ingredients - liveable, small and within easy reach of each other, greens, water, safe, shophouses, surprises,foods, traffics, etc,etc but its just that we really havent put a serious thought on the planning and how to make it more interesting and proudable. I want to feel proud of my Bandar and it doesnt have to be like Manhattan or Singapore, but smart, cool , cultured and entertaining will certainly do me proud. C'mon, ministers, city planners, get up and lively up our bandar! Just putiing up the street lights and stalls on the high streets just not enough. Build beautiful buildings to line up the riparian setting of the Brunei River. Change the face of the Kampong Ayer - paint it red, blue or yellow ( the old rusty zinc roofs). O, so many things and the country can afford it. That's what I want to visualize the vision of what our Bandar to look like in 2, Or 3, 5 years time. 2035 is a very long wait...

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com