Monday 23 June 2008

Unputdownable

A few months ago somebody left a comment in my tag box, recommending me to read ‘Confessions of an Economic Hit Man’ by John Perkins. It was an interesting read although I don’t know if I believe him. To me, the book is more about politics than economics. Nevertheless, it is a good book and thank you to whoever it was who recommended it. I'm now eyeing 'Rogue Economics' by Loretta Napoleoni (now sitting on my bedside table) which probably is similar to Perkin's but hopefully will have more economics (I was quite surprise to find this book at Borders, with that title and its woman author).

But 'Rogue Economics' needs to wait for a bit because currently I’m reading Lee Kwan Yew’s Memoir: The Singapore Story - From Third World to First. Now, this book is what I call ‘unputdownable’. It is 700 pages (I’ve finished two-third) and the second book of his 2-part memoir. I read the first book when I was pregnant with my eldest daughter and it was an OK book (too much history, and I’m no good with history). But this second book is excellent! He is one of the best writers I’ve come across. He used only simple, straight-forward English, with hardly any jargon or big words, yet his description of the numerous events were alive. I felt as I if I was in his head.

Most of all, I feel this is one of those books that policymakers (especially in Brunei) should read. The book is loaded with economic and development policies. There are many (Singapore) policies that we can relate to and perhaps can ‘try, test’ with probably some modifications based on our resources and our own national objectives.

Speaking of good writers, I also follow with interest Dr. Mahathir’s blogsite. I’ve read most of his books but I love his speeches more. He has the ability to speak and write (especially his blog posts) clearly and delivers what’s in his mind structurally.

Don’t get me wrong, besides the serious stuff, I also read fiction novels. I am a Harry Potter’s fan. Until today, I have yet to find another writer who can rival J.K. Rowling’s HP. (Any suggestion, out there?). My interests also vary. I read Dan Brown to Neil Gaiman to Jeffery Archer to Jodi Picoult to Sophie Kinsella, of course. And I am a sucker for romance too (hehe) especially historical romance. I’m now into children’s novels (that Young Bond books look interesting).

Anyway, I hope one day I will also get to write an ‘unputdownable’ book too. In the meantime, I'm going to curl up in bed and finish the Singapore Story.

Salaam.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you try Sidney Sheldon's.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the story of the EHM and I agree with you that it is not about economics. I learned more about economics from 'The Under Cover Economist' by Tim Harford. Excellent book for non economist like me :)

ROGUE ECONOMIST said...

If you like Harford's Under Cover Economist, try 'The Economic Naturalist' by Robert H. Frank.
It is another book that explains economic theories in layman words without any graph or equation or even big economics jargon. The whole idea of the book is that 'anything can be explained by economics'.
I'd recommend this book to non-economists and even economists, especially economic students.

Weight Loss Warrior said...

sidneys is not worth it


simple credit repairs

Anonymous said...

ok u hav read the book, its not about economics i agree... but surely u ve noticed that ehms was here in brunei... claiming certain projects wud be for the creation of thousands of jobs by 2008 and at the same calling in so called consultants/ experts (his friends perhaps hehe) who dun even hav any clue what they were talking about our nation's economy... so it's believable to such an extent the existence of ehms... well at least u found the book interesting :)

ROGUE ECONOMIST said...

hahaha I didn't see that coming. You know what, you are probably right :0