Friday 22 February 2008

So You Think You Can be like Dubai?

"My Grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel"
Sheikh Rashid, the previous ruler of Dubai.


Well, a couple of years back (actually for all I know, we still think we can be like Dubai) there were talks about following Dubai's model to development. Nothing wrong with that - as long as we talk, the talk and walk, the walk. Anyway, I found this interesting Harvard paper 'Dubai Strategy: Past, Present and Future' which to me gives a good crash course on Dubai's development. Have a read, it's only about 9 pages long (minus the graphs) but really it tells the goods and the bads, which can be very interesting lessons.
Salaam.


P.S. Thank you all for your comments/views on my previous posts. I will get back to them once I've handed my chapter to my supervisor.

1 comment:

Adzimin Amin said...

Hmm... It really makes me think of how Brunei has the potential to become something like Dubai; given the fact that Brunei is blessed with oil reserves, just like Dubai.

I'm amazed with how Dubai was so good in its effort to diversify its economy and how the city-state was able to expand its non-oil sectors to achieve economic growth.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! :D