Sunday 20 January 2008

Ain't No My Business!

I must admit I was quite disheartened by comments made by some people who spoke to me and emailed me regarding my view on the fuel subsidy as well as my view on Bruneians’ lavish lifestyles. I however cannot help think how hypocrite these people are. Before this, they all wanted change. Brunei should do this, this, this and that. When the time to change is finally there, then they thought otherwise. So, tell me, what do YOU want? How do you expect the economy to change? By fate? When oil runs dry? Since there are so many of you who are clever enough to change the economy, then why aren’t we changing? Why is the GDP structure still the same since aeons?

Some said, so what if people drive big cars and buy expensive goods. Why should they think of tomorrow when they can enjoy today? And most of all it is none of MY bloody business to tell off people what and how to spend their income!

AND these are my answers to you:

Firstly, YES it is none of my concern what you people do with your money. It is YOUR life. BUT please stop complaining. You are the very people who keep on moaning that life is unfair. You are the first people who would object to real changes. If you think your future and that of your children’s are in good hands, then why should it bother you that the fuel subsidy will be lifted, or even if one day income tax will be imposed?

Secondly, it is clear you are missing my point. Nobody says that Bruneians should live shabbily or eat ‘nasi dengan kicap’. By all means, for those who think they can afford luxurious livestyles, then who’s stopping? If you must know, it is also equally harmful to the economy if nobody is spending (like what happened to Japan). My message is meant specifically to those who cannot afford such a lifestyle. Ukur baju di badan sendiri as the saying goes. Not everyone has a 4-digit monthly income, you know! And I have also seen many of those who are earning decent monthly incomes, who work as senior officers in government departments, cannot even pay their children’s school fees! WHY? Simply because they value their NOWS.

My aunt, who is a headmistress in one of a well known private primary school, told me that they were having a dilemma. She told me that there were HUNDREDS of parents who could not pay the school fees. She said she would understand if they worked in the private sector but these parents were government officers! I asked her what about the government’s education subsidy i.e. the monthly payment of what $120 per child (please correct me if I’m wrong)? Where did the money go? She said probably to ‘the car’, because apparently some parents bought new cars a few weeks before the fee was due. She said it was heart-breaking to make the decision of expelling children from school, just because their parents think cars are more important in their life. As much as the school wants to help the children, at the end of the day my aunt says, “it is not a charity”.


But, think of the consequences. It is not only the child who will be affected by such selfish act. The whole nation will do too! Now, I’m not going to put forward the argument that if you think you can’t afford to pay the private school’s fee, then the children should be sent to the government schools (while education is still free!), because as a parent myself, I know that I want the BEST for my children. But, please I implore, PAY their fees! And I'm also NOT patronising the quality of the government's schools. I am, after all, a product of one. (Hmm.. perhaps another blog entry for this topic).

Now, again back to the fuel subsidy. I ask myself, is it really fair for the government to reduce the subsidy now? When prices of goods are on the rise? When everyone is feeling the heat? When, even the global economy looks gloomy?

Well, my answer is still YES. My views still stand. I still think it is still a waste for the government to spend more and more to subsidise the prices of car fuel. As the oil price goes up, the amount of subsidy will also go up. I strongly agree with the comment made by 55 in my last post. If and when the subsidy (of any kind) is reduced, then some sort of concession system must be set up to help those who truly deserve the subsidy. Subsidy in economics is after all, an instrument to distribute income equally. It is NOT meant for everyone. Those who are earning above a certain level (usually above the minimum) let alone those who have hefty incomes, do not deserve to receive such subsidy especially when no income tax is imposed.

Finally, my profession is related with policy-making. So, I believe all of the problems associated with the economy, WILL be my concern.

Anyway, I think I understand that the resistance to the policy change is not caused simply by people not wanting to change (right?). I guess, the problem is related with what economists say as 'asymmetric information'. The public do not know what to expect. Are there any supporting policies to help remedy the situation which is expected to have negative effects? And which government agencies will be responsible in providing the supporting policies? How big is this subsidy reduction? And so on. I myself, am anxious to find the answers. I think it would be ridiculous if no one is doing anything to help mitigate the effects.

I guess that's all I will say for now. In any case, this blog is meant for those who are interested in economics and its workings without the boring mathematical equations. As I said in my first post, my views may be right, but most often they will probably be wrong.

Salaam.

10 comments:

JS said...

I liked yr comments and pointers re this fuel subsidy. I couldn't help posting some of my own too. Really feel sorry for those who can't see whats happening just over the horizon.I'm a Bruneian who trying to survive outside of Brunei.

55 said...

Well you must hand it to them, what we Bruneians are most known for are the ability to complain and diss others. If they were to analyze your posts carefully, you pointed out if they have the money, by all means splurge but save some for a rainy day. If you don’t have any and are living pay check to pay check, think about your future financial consequences.

It’s good to hear policy-making is your profession. InsyaAllah once you are in the position of changing policies, I would suggest creating transparency in handing out allowances.

In the private sector, before being entitled to such privilege, you would have to produce evidence (i.e. receipts). At the end of the month, the allowance would be added on top of your salary.

In the Government, there are no such things as expenses claim. You are given a lump sum of allowance and no questions asked. It’s a good thing for the receiver but not good for the provider.

Example, prior to attending an overseas workshop you are given say $500 per day allowance. You could choose the cheapest amount of transportation and accommodation and pocket the rest. No one would know.

Hopefully with such expenses practice implemented, we won’t be seeing a child’s education in jeopardy due to their parents’ irresponsible behaviors.

Katie-Ella said...

Hello Rogue Economist, I've been following your blog posts for a while now and I just wanted to say - please keep blogging and don't be discouraged by negative comments from others. It's clear that Brunei needs to implement big policy changes to keep the economy rolling (not just now, but for the future) and these changes may cause some pain now, but lead to long term gain. As to the issue of people not paying school fees, bills etc - this is a terrible problem in Brunei. I have heard stories of goevernment officers staking out the TAP office crying and begging for their TAP money to be released so that they can pay their car bills/children's school fees. When you think about it, government officers are already in such a privileged position. I guess people just wnat to keep up with the neighbours, it's a vicous debt spiral.

Anonymous said...

Salaam,

I agree our fuel should not be subsidized 100% but i believe that it should be implemented in stages and not so suddenly. A warning a year in advance would probably be suffice.

But before that, has a study been done by the government or the national think tank on this matter?
If not, then maybe they should? How will it affect the cost of daily goods used?

I have a suggestion:
Why don't we follow the Sunnah of our Prophet and actually make Zakat Harta mandatory for all muslim citizens. That way, the gap between the haves and have-nots would reduce significantly.
For the Zhimmi non-muslim citizens(those who don't declare any animosity against muslims), they should be charged a jizyah tax for them to be our allies and fellow countrymen.
This was done during the time of Khalifa Umar during his 10 year tenure as Caliph.
This would spread the wealth evenly amongst Bruneians.
At the moment, this Zakat is not mandatory and for those who aren't aware the annual tithe is approximately 2.5% of what is in one's savings account.

Many will probably find this absurd as many are not willing to pay tax yet but Zakat is one of the 5 pillars of Islam(not just limited to Zakat Fitrah) and yes, we will probably be the only muslim country to implement this(no other muslim country has made Zakat mandatory)but why not make a change?

Just my 2 cents worth.

55 said...

Anonymous,
Zakat sounds better than taxing. However, after spending time with one of the local bank a few years back, it saddens me that most Bruneians are in the negative. ie. liabilities exceed their assets. If we were to implement Zakat Harta, technically they can get away with it due to the negative financial assets they have.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hjh

Jagan tah u ingau those negative remarks - what you wrote are facts of life! We bruneian (majority) are spending "borrowed" money!

Keep up with your blogging - as I say earlier I find your articles very refreshing - at least someone is speaking of the truth which is a reality check for Bruneian! Wake up Brunei .. we need more of people like Hjh to assist in our policy making! All those "big shots" (not all la .. but most of them) are not aware of the grassroot's problems. I don't blame them as their immediate bosses are to be blame also, as they only feed them (bosses) with the "glossy" picture only! or they think the bosses above only want to hear the nice scenario! or they are to scare to tell the bosses the real situations! WAKE UP BOSSESS & immediate BOSSES!! smell the coffee!!

Anonymous said...

wots the jizyaah and zakat have to do with fuel subsidies?

i just dont see the connection there! Great blog btw, its unfortunate i did not find out sooner.

anyway, heres wot i think,
Fuel subsidy has been around for 'awhile' now and the thing is no one really is aware there is one in place or neither do we care until the government decides to say 'hey hold on a minute, we are paying too much, u lot should be able to pay for urself now that the country is rich and that'

bonkers

technically we are rich (GDP 25,000 USD), but that doesnt reflect the real wealth of the average bruneian. fuel subsidies are good and all, but i think they shud remain for the time being, after all, our society was built on benefits and subsidies (education, housing, fuel, you name it).

we dont want riots and civil upheaval like in venezuela or france (and thems are democrazys! so-called representing the will of the people huh?)
although i seriously doubt, in brunei, anyone will do anything more than shout loudly in one corner.

anyway, i guess its how ppl see it.
for or against subsidies shud be by public referendum, although i m not sure how that will work here. i m pretty sure however that the people want the subsidies to remain for the time being, its simple really. its the national disease.

put it this way, you give the kid a candy, u dont take it back. if hadnt givent the candy in the first place, then all crying and fussing would have been avoided wouldnt it?

Umar A. said...

Good stuff. Well-argued points.

If I may add to your arguments, while there is no problem looking at this thing from an economist perspective but a financial angle would help complement your arguments.

For one, financial planning is still somewhat lacking in Brunei. Some of our generation are fortunate that either their parents taught them financial planning habits or they got into it themselves at a young age but others are unfortunately in the dark. The issue of losing subsidies (essentially, money lost for recipients) will get some people naturally defensive but if people were financial aware or adept to such circumstances, a transition to a less-government dependent economy will be somewhat smoother.

Therefore, I feel a compulsory 'financial planning' course at high school &/or higher educational institutions is imperative. At least, larger segments of future generations will be more finance-conscious in terms of savings & investments.

Just my thoughts.

ROGUE ECONOMIST said...

Dear all,

Thanks so much for your comments. It is good to know that quite a number of people want to change. For all it's worth, I believe that whatever policy our government is adopting is for the sole interest of the whole of Brunei. It would however be good if we could openly debate on the pros and cons of any new policy to be introduced or amended. Not only will it help everyone understand the rationales behind each policy, hence a smoother transition; it will also promote a sense of 'ownership' i.e. a policy FOR the people and BY the people.

Salaam.

Adzimin Amin said...

Hello. I actually found this reply to be quite funny, but makes enough sense:

"kulikang said...

All those "big shots" (not all la .. but most of them) are not aware of the grassroot's problems. I don't blame them as their immediate bosses are to be blame also, as they only feed them (bosses) with the "glossy" picture only! or they think the bosses above only want to hear the nice scenario! or they are to scare to tell the bosses the real situations! WAKE UP BOSSESS & immediate BOSSES!! smell the coffee!!"

I think he's making a really good point with- pardon me -the higher gov't officials only providing the 'glossy' picture and not the whole (as in only the positive bits, excluding the negative ones) to His Majesty just to satisfy, or simply to create a good impression of themselves or their work quality.

It could be that they lack the incentives to, you know, to REALLY improve the well-being of the country. Probably because they are left to being complacent up to that point; imagine yourself being given such high income.

That's all. On a side note, I think you (Rogue Economist) would surely meet and exceed the necessary requirements for being a good policy-maker! I'd support you :D