Tuesday 11 December 2007

Hands Up If You Love Reading Books!

I love books. And I love to read them. My love affair with books started the moment I learnt how to read. I guess, I was 6 or 7 (I know! In those days we only started going to school at the age of 6! Darjah 0 hehe) and I used to ask my dad to send me to the library in Bandar. While other kids went to the library to play, I went there to read. I would borrow some of the kids’ library cards, so that I could borrow lots of books. Sometimes I would take home about 8 books at one time.

Now, I still love reading. I could go mental if I don’t read anything in one day. I have to read before I go to sleep. I read almost anything. I’m also grateful that my 2 girls also love books. My eldest, who is 5, now can read and she loves it. Everytime we bring our kids to the town centre, they would always insist to go to the library or a bookshop. We're also lucky that here in the UK, books are cheap especially if you buy online. Children books are cheap too. Plus there are heaps of charity shops which sell second-hand books. My favourites are the Oxfam bookshop and the Children Society. I can get ‘almost new’ books at only about a quid each ($3). So if you ask me, I’m in heaven!

Unfortunately, reading is not loved by all. And especially in Brunei, reading is still far from being a culture. Unlike in UK, Japan or Singapore, you see people read everywhere. In the bus, in the tube, in the train, in the cafes, old and young. It is a culture. These are all developed countries. There may not be a correlation or causality between the two but I can’t help but wonder. It is possible that a developed country makes reading its culture. Or it could also be that ‘reading’ makes a country to be developed. It makes sense to me. With books, comes knowledge. With knowledge, comes power. Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.

I remember when I was back in Brunei a few years ago. I was about to enter a bookshop. Then came this lady with her little boy. The boy asked her mom to go to the bookshop. He said he wanted to buy a book. And you know what the mom said? Nothing interesting in there! We’d just be wasting our time! At that moment, I felt so sad. I actually wanted to approach them and offered to buy the boy a book.

Anyway, you can’t force people to change their habits. Moreover, books are also expensive in Brunei. Books are wrapped in plastics. The bookshops sometimes put off even people like me. But then again, who would want to invest in an expensive bookstore (or an international book franchise) if the people don’t read? The bookshops are after all ‘shops’ and selling books are businesses to make profit.

Nevertheless, I strongly think reading should be encouraged especially to our children. I don’t have to list down the benefits. I even think that it is not over-rated if 'forming a reading culture' to be made as one of the national development objectives (or perhaps the national objective is to build a knowledgeable nation, and 'reading as a culture' becomes one of the main strategies). It could well be one of the remedies to the aggravating social illnesses.

However, if Brunei wants to make reading as a culture, serious steps have to be taken. Having a book fair once a year is NOT enough. Even in the UK, they have a literacy campaign. There is a ‘one book one child’ scheme or something. A few months ago, my children were sent a free story book each. They do this once a year. The local council on the other hand promotes the local libraries. They send leaflets with information about libraries. They even conduct sessions for adults who are not confident or do not know how to read to children. Now, this is what I call serious.

Now, what about our national library? It's been ages I haven't been there. Needless to say, the library doesn't look inviting. Seriously, I think we should have a bigger, fantastic looking national library. A library, is afterall the soul of a country.

Anyway, enough of my rambling today. In case you haven’t notice I’ve put up a couple of Amazon banners in this blog site. Well, the purpose is not to gain any extra income but to encourage you people to read. You can find lots of bargain especially from the Amazon US. Now that the US dollar is down, I think it’s worth buying some.

Oh well, probably I would open my own bookshop one day.

Salaam.

A Home Without Books is a Body Without Soul

1 comment:

rabi'a said...

*puts hands up!*

i loooooooove reading. u knw dulu2x kids ada biodata books and under hobbies or interests i write 'reading' and it sounds boring but i think its reli fun! till now i still read those children books lying around in the hse psl kehabisan buku kan d baca hahaha

and since now i've finished work, and u got some of the books i wanna read.. pinjaaam please =)