Thursday 6 December 2007

Doing Business in Brunei 2008

I actually shouldn't be posting anything until next week (as a chapter is due on Wednesday, the latest) but while browsing the internet I stumbled on the World Bank Group Doing Business Project's report on Doing Business in Brunei 2008 (Pdf file). In case I forget, I think I better post it now.

I read about this in the BB a few months ago and actually wanted to blog about it but well...other important things came up.. perhaps another time.

I haven't been able to digest what's in the report but I can see some interesting findings. My only comment for now is that Brunei is a small developing country. It is not quite fair to compare ourselves with the likes of developed countries. But it should also cannot be the reason why we shouldn't change, afterall those developed countries were not developed by chance. They also started from a humble beginning.

Enjoy reading! I'm sure it will be useful to researchers, policy-makers, students and all Bruneians in general (unless of course you don't care hehe). Oh, don't forget to save it in case it's removed.

Salaam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I've downloaded it onto my laptop. I got a copy of a page of it before this, got it during the AsiaInc NBC.

I've yet to fully read it, but I believe we should take the report into high consideration if we are up to inviting FDIs, diversifying our economy, and importantly encouraging local entrepreneurships. A lot of aspects are looked into, but paramount changes on business start ups. We are practically ranked close to the hundred or beyond it in these: starting a business, registering properties, getting credit and protecting investors.

No, we can't compare apples with oranges, but the highlight is we should pursue to be as closely as possible to them developed nations. But I'm sure the variables in questions are comparable, and others are controlled to come up with that report.

Best of luck with finishing the chapter. So, when is the final submission?