Thursday 14 August 2008

Land Dilemma

I found an interesting article by Brunei’s National Development Party on the issue of land ownership (click here) which reminds me of a discussion I had with a colleague from the Land Department.


I am no expert in the whole land issue/policy but I do not think the objective of ensuring the local ownership of land has been successfully met, in fact I think it actually has backfired. True, it is a sensitive issue. And for that precise reason, it needs a special attention. The Land Code 1909 really is too outdated, and I do think it deserves some amendments that can accommodate the needs of a new century and most of all the needs of the current economy and its future development without compromising the ‘rightful’ ownership. However for now, I reserve further comments.

Salaam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A classic example of land and residential/commercial properties currently owned by majority non-Malays is Seria/Kuala Belait townships or even the Belait District as a whole (being the largest) in the country.

Historically speaking, under table wheeling-dealings were to blame in that oil-rich district dating back aeons since 1929, maybe. Brunei Darussalam had even lost visible parts of her rightful border area to Sarawak (Malaysia)! If not cautiously managed, Seria-KB may just turn into another Miri!:(