Monday 24 March 2008

Getting Organised

I am not an organised person. I tend to misplace A LOT of stuff especially journal papers, printed out articles and other (1001) knick-knacks. And whenever I have some free time and a clear head (which comes probably only once in six months), I would try to sort the paper mountain on my desk into files.

Anyway, I thought I'd do some organising to this blog as well, as I realise that I've been linking papers and websites in my posts, which I believe one day would be useful to me and to anyone who remembered reading it (but too lazy as I am to browse the past posts). So, I've added 2 sections: 'Reading List' which gives the link to all papers, reports and articles I refer to in my posts, and 'Websites' which gives the link to all websites that I refer to and any others which I think would be useful for Brunei. To make (my) life easier, I've put the dates of my blog posts that refer to each paper or website.

I am also recommending a few bed-time readings which are interesting and worth buying (and NOT too expensive). First, it's Krugman's earlier book The Accidental Theorist which is a collection of short articles he had written in various magazines. It is highly informative and entertaining with his witty style of writing and 'easy' english. I feel this is one of those books that can be read by anyone.

For a more thought-provoking book, which I am currently reading, I'd recommend The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. This book is about uncertainties and random events that underlie our lives.

Finally, Slate has also recommended Predictably Irrational : The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decision by Dan Ariely who "has done a huge amount of firsthand research on decision-making, and he demonstrates that emotions, expectations, contexts, and social norms all play a huge role."

All of the above books are in my MUST READ Recommended Books.

Salaam

2 comments:

naz said...

Thanks for the reading recommendations, especially The Black Swan. I'd like to add to that list an earlier work by Taleb called Fooled by Randomness, from which I believe his current book was builds upon.

Anonymous said...

I second Fooled by Randomness. It's a fantastic book, despite the author's arrogance.

http://www.cxoadvisory.com/blog/reviews/blog9-26-05/
http://www.cxoadvisory.com/blog/reviews/blog12-17-07/

You should also check out some of the phenomenal presentations from TED. Have a look at the Hans Rosling, Malcolm Gladwell, Barry Schwartz and Steven Levitt talks.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/tags/id/108

I used to have a cardboard box under my desk where I 'archived' the articles that I've printed out and read. I eventually sorted them out into subjects but they took up a lot of physical space. Sharing the articles by photocopying and emailing weren't so effective either as it was more of a 'push' dynamic rather than a 'pull' one whereby people choose to read the stuff they're interested in. So I moved online and used a blog platform as a repository to resolve these issues. I chose Multiply as a good all-rounder for blogging and media and particularly for its privacy features. It's been working great but a big big negative is that Multiply's search function is very lame as it doesn't help me look for my posts that are not 100% public. So I have to rely on tagging which is not ideal. A plus is that there's been some good dialogues via comments and targeted networking builds a community of informed people who give excellent perspective on different issues.

Orwell